Thursday, June 29, 2006

melons 101.

After reading this entry, I think many people are going to laugh. Why? Cos the supposed "foodie" (that would be me) doesn't know how to shop for melons! Yes.. I can't for the life of me remember how to tell if a melon is ripe or whether it's going to be sweet, not even when I've read about it or been told a gazillion times. So after reading about this in the Wine and Dine mag again, I've decided to put it down in writing to remind myself. Afterall, I'm sure there are many out there like me who can't tell a good melon from a bad or an unripe melon from one that's ready to be eaten. So here goes...


W A T E R M E L O N S
Tap the fruit to tell if it's ripe. A ripe melon will have a dull thud whilst an unripe melon would sound hollow.

C A N T A L O U P E S & H O N E Y D E W S
The aroma of the fruit should tell you if it is ripe for eating. Basically, the aroma should be strong and sweet.
The weight of the fruit should be between 1 to 1.5 kg. If it's heavy for its size and if the base of the melon where the stem is located is soft, this also means that the melon is ready to be eaten.


So start practising please. At the supermarket, at home or wherever. There! I've written it down so I've got no more excuses to forget. Well technically, that could happen too since I may forget that I wrote this entry...

No comments:

Post a Comment