Thursday, September 29, 2011

spring weekend in canberra!

So I'm back from a short weekend in Canberra. Whilst it's not the most exciting city in Australia, there is a vastness about the place that I like. Not to mention that the roads are extremely friendly (and parallel parking is a breeze!). Apart from settling the important stuff and viewing the pretty flowers at the annual Floriade, good food definitely played a big part over the weekend. Some I was impressed with and some left a lot to be desired.

One place I liked was Cream Cafe & Bar. High ceilings, white clean walls, buzzing atmosphere, chill- out music, delicious food. What's not to like right?

Omelette with Double Shaved Leg Ham, Persian Feta,
Hickory Smoked Tomato and Chilli Jam

 Crispy Potato Cakes with Smoked Salmon, Avocado,
Onion Jam and Sour Cream


Sage Restaurant was another place that I liked. While the food could have been refined a tad bit more, the flavours were really spot on. 2 of my favourite dishes of the night were the Slow Cooked Pork Belly and the Confit King Salmon. The rest of the pictures from the dinner can be viewed here.

Slow Cooked Pork Belly
compressed nashi, cucumber, crackling, cider jelly


Confit King Salmon
yamba prawn, baby beetroot, tahini yoghurt, sesame crisp


A short afternoon out at Floriade made the trip well worth it. It was nice strolling through the flower gardens, viewing the beautiful and elaborate bonsais and just soaking in the fresh Canberra air. I don't know about you but I always have a thing for flowers that are planted in the ground even though I think they already look awesome on display at the florist.





So that concludes Canberra. R & I made a stop by Bowral to have lunch at Biota Dining on the way to Canberra. I'll get to writing about that experience soon. Still can't get how pretty their dining room is out of my head.


Cream Cafe & Bar
Canberra Centre Shop FG10
Bunda Street
Canberra 2600
Tel: +61 (02) 6162 1448

Sage Restaurant
Gorman House Arts Centre
Batman Street
Braddon, Canberra 2612
Tel: +61 (02) 6249 6050

No comments:

Post a Comment