Saturday, December 17, 2011

paris bites: relais de l'entrecôte

Relais de l'Entrecôte
15, Rue Marbeuf
Paris, France
Tel: +33 (01) 4952 0717
Website: http://www.relaisentrecote.fr/uk/index.html

Located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris near Champs Elysee lies a typical looking French bistro. That bistro however, starts having a long line formed outside its doors around 6pm; the crowds rushing for the first seating when the bistro opens its doors. And all of them are simply lusting for this.


Steak frites is classically French but it doesn't stop here. The people are in line because of that mysterious green sauce. Over the years, many have been curious about that sauce. Many newspaper articles were written about it claiming that there was this and that in the sauce. But the restaurant has refuted all those claims and has never been public about the secret behind that moreish sauce. In Singapore, there is a restaurant claiming to do the same but from what I've heard, it's not quite exactly like the original. I remember meeting SW before the trip and she told me that after all the years of living in Paris, this sauce was the one thing she missed. I was intrigued.

We were lucky to get a seat on the first seating and as soon as we sat, the waitress came to ask if we would like our meat done medium rare or well done. First of all, this is all they serve at the restaurant. Second, they only did their meats 2 ways. If you don't want steak or want yours done to medium or medium well, you probably should eat somewhere else. No nonsense - I like.

A simple green salad preceded the steak frites and I could smell the sauce when the main course was headed for our table. The meat was cooked perfectly and did I mention that I love shoestring fries?? The sauce was addictive. I couldn't help slurping every morsel of it and even used the bread to mop it all up. Once you're done with the first round, the waitresses come round to refill your plates with steak and fries if your stomach is up for it. And more sauce! Needless to say, I put my hand up.

Oh and what's in the sauce? I'm not telling. :p

No comments:

Post a Comment